GAUMONT COMES HOME
Client: Friends of Dog Kennel Hill Wood
Poster design for the free screening of rare Edwardian films in Dog Kennel Hill Open Space.
The Gaumont film company set up their film studio next to Dog Kennel Hill Wood from 1904 – 1912 when it was Freemans Cricket Ground. The main director working at the Champion Hill studio at this time was Alf Collins. Despite the significance of this early studio only thirty of his films survive and until now have been hidden away in the national film archive. Friends of Dog Kennel Hill Wood worked closely with the British Film Institute and film historian Tony Fletcher from the Cinema Museum to bring the films of Alf Collins out of the archive and onto the big screen for the first time in a hundred years.